I took lots of effort recently to shoehorn this site into WordPress, which replaces my old clumsy custom-built content management system. The contents of the site have been overhauled as well, most importantly the dictionary.
The database behind the dictionary is now entirely managed offline on my own computer, where it is safe – hopefully – except for blunders caused by myself. I will occasionally synchronize it with the version that runs on my host’s server. As a means of security which I had overlooked before (shame on me!), the database that is on the web now is only readable and query strings are checked for stray apostrophes and inverted commas, as well as malicious keywords, such as “DROP”. As for the administration frontend, I was surprised how easy it was to construct it with Django only by abstraction from the tutorials on the Django website and with no previous knowledge of Python. No tedious handcrafting of HTML forms and PHP scripts to read and write data for hours on end, yay! Another invisible improvement is that whereas non-ASCII characters were stored as HTML entities (e.g. ā for ā) before, they are stored in plain Unicode format now, as I’ve finally found out why why why the heck Unicode would be stubbornly returned as just question marks and saved as weird things like Ä°, i.e. mistakenly iso-8859-1 encoded Unicode: I didn’t know you need to specify that the MySQL connection use utf-8. It took me 6 freaking years to find that out 😡
As the Daléian script as well as the vine-like script I devised years ago as an experiment are not actually used to write Ayeri, I’ve now removed them from this site. I might put them up again on a separate subpage, though. I’ve also rewritten the Alphabet page almost completely. Also, no inconsistently handwritten graphics there anymore. Yes, there is a font, however it does not yet work as I’d like it to because OpenType is extremely unfriendly towards custom alphabets that are not ciphers of existing alphabets, so I had to use a graphics program to get the diacritics over the consonant letters. I will not yet make a public release of it. Kudos to you if you manage to decipher the writing in the header image 🙂
The archive on the Media page now contains all years on the same page for your enjoyment. For fun, you may want to compare something very old with something very recent…
Another new thing I’ve included is a blog category on “Grammar musings”. There I will put entries that are about my latest thoughts on Ayeri grammar. So far I’ve only posted them on the ZBB, but posting them here will hopefully give you some insight into the process that is behind conlanging. This category will probably not be updated too often, though, as the language is now in a rather stable state.